Welcome to Tranmere Sailing Club.

Tranmere Sailing Club welcome you to our website and hope you find it of interest.

The club is situated on Bedford Road East, Rock Ferry on the Wirral side of the river Mersey; a few metres from the slipway used by the club to launch and retrieve our craft. This is one of the few slipways in the northwest of England, that give access to the river even at low tides and is therefore, when necessary used by emergency services. We are one of several local community sailing clubs, and being run solely by unpaid volunteer members who share a love of sailing and boating and just having fun on the river Mersey in a safe and friendly environment. The club is conveniently situated a short journey from the Mersey Tunnels and with easy access from further afield by motorways M53 and M56.

We hope you enjoy your visit to our website today, and if so look forward to hearing from you where upon you will receive a warm welcome.

From the Commodore.

I am proud to be the commodore of such a warm, friendly and truly welcoming club.

After another successful year, our membership has increased, club finances are improving and modernisation of the club is well underway.

As a club we have run quite a few very successful social events, with great participation from members and guests, especially amongst our more recent members from the UK North West Blind Sailor’s Association, who enjoy a party at the drop of a hat.

After each successful social event, a donation is made to a local charity from any profits.

However, we must not rest on our laurels but keep trying to improve our club to make it a warm, welcoming and nice club of which our members can be proud of.
We will continue with our social events and possibly increase them.

My thanks to the members of the management committee and club members for your support and I hope we have another successful year.

I wish you all fair winds and a following Seas.

V Reynolds.
Tranmere Sailing Club.


Activities At The Sailing Club.


Tranmere Sailing Club members are a collective of Yachtsmen; Dinghy sailors; Motor boaters and sea anglers.
The yachties are pleasure sailors and sail in the evenings after work and weekends, tides and weather permitting, frequently seeking crew to enjoy a leisurely sail. The club currently has two sailing dinghies available for members to use, provided they can demonstrate appropriate sailing skills and have their own sailing/safety equipment.
Our motor boaters, like their fellow yachtsmen can sometimes be looking for company on a local cruise along the river Mersey even on occasion out to the mouth of the river at New Brighton.

Races / Events

A program of pleasure sailing and racing within the club has been planned for 2023 and a yacht tender race is planned as an annual event.

Social Meetings

Club night is on Wednesday we get together put the world to rights and have a drink; we also have a spring fitting out party which this year will incorporate the king’s coronation celebrations; autumn laying up party and a Christmas party. From which we make regular donations to local charities. Annual dinner and burns night in January.
The clubhouse is also available to members to hire for functions and events, it has a bar, meeting room and there is a fully fitted kitchen for use by members, which includes tea and coffee making facilities.


The club currently only offers peer training. The long-standing members of the club have decades of skills and knowledge, many have worked during their lives in the once thriving ship industry along the banks of the Mersey during its heyday. A lot of their knowledge cannot be found in books or DVD’s, but gained from personal experience. These members are always friendly and approachable willing to impart their “know how” to enthusiastic participants.

Boat Care & Maintance

As previously mentioned many members worked in the ship building/maintenance industry and are happy to share their skills and knowledge. The club has a container fitted out as a workshop with lighting; electric; work bench; bench drill; bench grinder and heavy-duty battery charger. Hand tools I’m afraid you will have to bring your own, well we don’t want to spoil you too much.


Club History.

At The Start.

This history of the club is taken in the main from a series of notes compiled by Donald Stuart Tod in 1986 from a collection of minute books from meetings of the club dating back to 1905.

Stacks Image 975
Club History: At The Start.
This history of the club is taken in the main from a series of notes compiled by Donald Stuart Tod in 1986 from a collection of minute books from meetings of the club dating back to 1905.

In 1888, the Mersey Canoe Club sailed and raced canoes in what was then Tranmere Bay - this has now been mainly filled in for docks used by the Shell Oil terminal. There were a number of half decked sailing boats moored in the bay and they banded together to form a sailing club. Some of the canoe club members (Dr Hayward, D. MacIver, C Livingstone and P. Nisbet) were well known for sailing as well and became members of the club at its inception so they may well have been instrumental in its formation.

The club was formed mainly with the idea of providing racing for various half decker’s which had been racing at Egremont Sailing Club but had been handicapped out of (their races) this season. The president at this time was Mr James Buckley, with Mr John Frazer of Market Street Birkenhead was Hon. Secretary.

So many races were held in 1890 and 1891 between these boats that a proper Sailing Club was formed. Premises were secured on the Tranmere Pier Head next to those of the Mersey Canoe Club. The name of the new club was Tranmere Sailing Club.
Tranmere Sailing Club First Mentioned.

The first mention of Tranmere Sailing Club in public record is from The Yachtsman 1st September 1892.

Stacks Image 983
Club History: Tranmere Sailing Club First Mentioned.
The first mention of Tranmere Sailing Club in public record is from The Yachtsman 1st September 1892. It is accompanied by the phrase yet another sailing club on the Mersey which gives an indication of the level of sailing activity there was on the river at this time.

The club remained at Tranmere until 1900, when that whole section of the North End of what was then Tranmere Bay was required for commercial development, which may have included the development of the Lairds slipways. The club was therefore required to move and the Clubs headquarters moved to Rock Ferry. A piece of land on the riverfront was leased from the Birkenhead Corporation Ferries and a small club house and boat store were built. There was also an enclosure to store dinghies. Races were started from the floating stage at the end of the pier and guns and flags were stored in a shed on this stage. The clubhouse was paid for by a loan in shares made by club members. This was paid off in 1908.

The Rock Ferry floating stage was built in about 1899 and the ferry service started running in about 1901. The ferry was the usual mode of transport for those members arriving from Liverpool, and the ferryboats sailed every 20 minutes. Rock Ferry prospered and the houses and roads of Rock Park were kept in an immaculate condition, with a man on the gate who asked your business as you entered. The Royal Rock Hotel - which was residential and the Rock Vaults were situated on the south side of Bedford Road with Donavan’s Refreshment Rooms (what then went on to become the Admiral Pub) opposite.

By this time the fleet was mainly composed of fully decked yachts, a large number being Morecambe Bay Prawners, or Nobbys and this meant that down river, Offshore races could be held. The courses included buoys in Liverpool Bay and open races were held in the club programme.

In 1908 it was agreed to extend the existing clubhouse. Further shares were sold to club members to cover the cost of the new extension. These shares were to pay interest of 5%. The new extension was ready for use in July 1909. The Club membership increased with the good facilities, locker room, washing accommodation and the new extension suitable for social functions.

There were facilities for storing oars and dinghies in the adjoining boatyard, Bonds, and use of their slipway.

The first hotpot supper in the new clubhouse was held in September 1909, a piano was purchased for the club and the pianist was paid 5 shillings to play at the supper.

Arrangements were made to have lectures on nautical subjects in the clubhouse over the winter months and the following rule was agreed at the 1909 AGM:

The Club premises shall be open to members and their guests between the hours of 8am and 11:30pm, also that no intoxicating drink shall at any time be brought onto the club premises for consumption on the premises except with the express sanction of the committee and such sanction shall only be given for some special club function and shall cease and become inoperative the day following the event for which the sanction was given. Any member acting in contravention of this rule shall be liable to be struck off the role of membership.

The committee also decided that the piano should be locked on Sundays.
During WWI.

In 1914 the first world war broke out. It was agreed that year there would be no AGM and 30 members were away serving in the forces.

Stacks Image 991
Club History: During WWI. (World War 1)
In 1914 the first world war broke out. It was agreed that year there would be no AGM and 30 members were away serving in the forces. It was agreed that subscriptions for these members were suspended. Club activities virtually ceased throughout this time except for a few meetings. Five members of TSC were killed in action in the war, and it was agreed that a role of honour would be displayed.

Ladies were finally admitted to the club as members in 1920 with a fee of 5/- with no entrance fee.

In 1922 there was some concern that the club would have to be wound up due to debts and liabilities. A guarantee fund was set up by members and a it was agreed that a bar would open and be run on a rota basis. Around this time there was some calls to rename the club Rock Ferry or Birkenhead Yacht Club but these were defeated.
Isle Of Man Midnight Race.

Tranmere took over the running of the Isle of Man Midnight Race in 1925.

Stacks Image 999
Club History: Isle Of Man Midnight Race.
Tranmere took over the running of the Isle of Man Midnight Race in 1925. The race was a success mainly because all involved agreed to contribute to the costs of prizes and race expenses. A race programme was printed every year with a list of entrants and previous entries. Advertising space was sold and the programmes were sold for 1d.

In the 1930s the course required vessels to stick to a channel course and leave the channel between Q3 red and Q3 black. Before the second world war, Mersey Buoyage conformed in shape only to the uniform system and the port hand marks were black and starboard red.

In 1934 it was agreed that the race should be held on June 22nd but due to gale force winds on this day, it was postponed and the race was rearranged for 6th July. This is the only time the race has been postponed and sailed at a later date.

In 1935 the race was started in gale force winds and only one boat finished, Kathleen, owned by Mr Steve Woolley.

In 1936, an arrangement was made with the Steam Packet Company that a radio message be transmitted via the GPO giving the weather conditions one hour out from Douglas, by one of their steamers. The message was to be received at Tranmere before 6pm so that competitors would have this information before going aboard. The message would be transmitted in morse code. Unfortunately, the message was not received in time and a letter of complaint was sent to the Head Postmaster in Liverpool.
Isle Of Man Midnight Race - 1907 History Of The Race 1992

The Race was first held on the 24th May 1907, under the auspices of the Liverpool Bay Yacht Club, who operated From the Magazines at New Brighton.

Stacks Image 1007
Club History: Isle Of Man Midnight Race - 1907 History Of The Race 1992.
The Race was first held on the 24th May 1907, under the auspices of the Liverpool Bay Yacht Club, who operated From the Magazines at New Brighton. The race was from New Brighton Pier to Douglas, the Isle of Man, and yachts "of any rig" from 5 to 50 tons T.M., were eligible that year eleven yachts entered, from Clubs including the Liverpool Bay Yacht Club, Royal Mersey Yacht Club and West Lanc's Yacht Club. The prizes included a silver epergne (a centrepiece for a table) weighing 88 ounces. A silver Commemoration Medal was awarded to every yacht finishing the course. The race started at New Brighton Pier on Friday evening the 24th in light airs, the Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury of the time reporting that throughout the race conditions were most variable, "many of them disagreeable, difficult, and uncomfortable". The race was won by " Persephone", owned by the Treasurer of the Royal Ulster club, the organisation through which Sir Thomas Lipton challenged for America's cup. She arrived in Douglas at 10.35 on a Saturday morning, the last boat to finish not arriving until 3.40 p.m. the 1909 race, held on May 28th, started in a piercing wind and choppy seas, accompanied by pouring rain. A dozen boats started, the largest being "Galas" of 33 tons, owned by Mr Charles Wight of Manchester, and the smallest "Lilian", a 7 tonner built at peel, in the isle of Man. The Daily Post and Mercury record that, on "Galas" two lady amateurs formed part of the crew, the only sailor women to take part in the anxious vicissitudes of the Midnight Race". It is also noted that "at the start, all carried mainsails, backyard topsails and jibs, but the topsails were in there Many cases discarded by the by". "Wallaroo", sailed by Mr J. Bibby, who "never left the tiller of the moment", carried her backyard throughout, and made a splendid passage of barely eight hours, "passable for many a steamer". She was, however, placed only 7th in the record results. After years of a storm, the 1911 race started at 8.oo p.m. on the Friday in a flat calm, and by 9.00 p.m. only three boats managed to cross the starting line. "Mammon", the winner on corrected time, was the first boats to arrive in Douglas 30 hours after the start, She managed to save by five minutes the times allowed "Wallaroo: who finished second for the fourth successive year. An article appeared in the Barrow news of 1913 which included a transcript of the log of the yacht "Peggy", from Fleetwood, which took part in the race that year, from New Brighton Pier to Port St. Mary, I.O.M. It is recorded in this log that the start of the race was postponed from Friday evening to 8.05 on a Saturday morning, due to strong winds. Twelve boats took part in the race in 1913 race, which, when it was considered that yachts in those days had no auxiliary engines, and had to get to the Mersey and back to their home ports under sail, must be considered a fair entry. "Peggy" finished the race at 8.15 p.m. on a Saturday, and Was awarded third prize. The winner that year was "Wallaroo", which had taken part in the race in 1907, 1908, 1910 and 1911. Between 1907 and 1914, when the race was abandoned due to the war, the average entry was about twelve boats, which was maintained in the early years after 1920, when the race was resumed. The record for the fastest crossing was set in 1922 and still holds today. This was achieved by "Capella", a Morecambe bay types forty six-footer, when she completed the crossing in 8 hours, 9 minutes and 40 seconds. The race was staled on a broad reach, in strong to gale force winds. A report in the Daily Post and Mercury records that the race started about 6 0'clock on Saturday morning, having been postponed from 7 p.m. on Friday, and that, "the passage was probably the, most memorable Midnight Race ever held... the crews declaring that it was the most severe test since the race was inaugurated".

"Capella" was, however, not placed in the corrected results, the winner in Class I being "St. Elmo", and "Endymion" in class II. An unusual postscript to the race was provided by Tuesdays Daily Post, which reported that "in the early hours of `Monday morning, "St. Elmo" met with a remarkable mishap. The tide was out and dry when some person cut the halliards from the mast to the quay used to steady her, with the result that she fell on her side and was badly damaged. One of the owners, Mr H.Booth, was on board and was a rendered unconscious". Tranmere Sailing Club assumed the organisation of the race in 1925, and the race under the Tranmere burgee was held on July 3rd of the year. The entry was divided into two classes, with eight boats in Class I including "Wallaroo", who had sailed in the first race in 1907, and six in Class II. In 1926 the race was won by Cammell Laird Sea Scouts in "Swan" There had been some doubt as to whether this entry should be permitted, due to the boat's unknown performance. However, it was finally accepted and an arbitrary rating calculated. To the embarrassment of the Handicapping Committee, and the chagrin of the other competitors, "Swan" finished first on the correct time, after a fair wind passage. In 1928 the decision was taken that the engines of all boats taking part should be officially sealed. The race, which started at 8.25 p.m. on Friday 13th, was staled under perfect conditions, a good sailing breeze enabling the yachts to carry full sail all the way across. "Mimosa", the first boat, reached Douglas at 6.05 on Saturday morning, to win for the second year running. In the 1929 race, after a difficult start due to being moored to the North of the stage, and the wind failing just before the start, "Myfanwy", a Royal Mersey Restricted Class yacht form the West Cheshire Sailing Club, went on to win Class II. For the 1930 race, a unique Handicapping system was in operation, with one handicap for fair winds, and another for headwinds. The entries ranged from "Olga", a 35 tonner from Ramsay, which was a scratch boat in Class I in both fair and headwinds, to "foam", in Class II, with handicaps of 120 and 150 minutes, respectively. Class I was won by "Mimosa", with a passage time of 12 hours, 34 minutes and Class II by "Myfanwy", for the second year running. Other notable names in the 1939 race are "Rosebud" and "Darthula", from T.S.C in Class I and "Frosette" from West Kirby Sailing Club in Class II. In 1931, eighteen yachts entered the race, and 1932 saw a record entry of twenty-two boats. In 1934 the race was postponed on the original starting date of 22nd June, due to gale-force winds and heavy seas., and sailed on the 6th July. Although postponed on a few occasions, the race has been cancelled on only one occasion in its history. In 1935 a proposal was made and accepted that the course to Douglas should be " go as you please", the lightship and buoys not being marked in the race. After a postponement of the start from Friday evening until 5 a.m. the following morning, the race was held in severe weather, and seventeen of the eighteen starters turned back and ran for shelter. The only boat to finish was "Kathleen", a 21-ton cutter sailed by Mr Steve Wooley, after ploughing the heavy seas for seventeen hours. In 1937, "Coral", sailed by the Poynton brothers, was the first boat to arrive in Douglas at 3.34 a.m. on Sunday, after a passage of 31 hours. Her owners then took finishing times of the other yachts on their cabin clock, the O.O.Ds at Douglas having retired to bed! The Poyntons reward came when they declared the winner of Class II. In 1938, after a rough passage with continual pumping and bailing, "Iomhar", who had taken part in the race since the early twenties, was first in Class I, with "Coral" winning Class II. War again interrupted the race between 1939 and 1945. In the 1946 race, the first to be held after the war, fifteen yachts took part. They made good time down the Mersey until the N.W. breeze died away and an unwelcome calm set in. This persisted until Saturday morning when a light South Westerly breeze arose. "Amita", the first yacht to cross the finishing lined so at 4.14 on Saturday afternoon, and the last boats did not arrive until 10 p.m. on Saturday. Six years of World War II had done nothing to change the fickle nature of wind in the Irish Sea!
Stacks Image 1011
In the 1953 race, the boats were again becalmed in the middle of the Irish Sea for many hours, the first boat arriving in Douglas 33 hours after the start. Up until 1956, the race had been started from Rock Ferry Pier but, after this demolished in 1956 to make way for the Tanker Cleaning Berth, the start line was moved to the New Ferry end of the Esplanade. Since the Second World War, it has been the custom for the Mayor to fire the cannon to start the race. A letter of greetings from the Mayor of the Wirral to the Mayor of Douglas is carried on one of the yachts taking part. In 1946 Percy Christian, Esq, presented silver cups as prizes to be won outright in 1946 and 1947. He then presented the magnificent Grand Challenge Cup in 1948, to be held by the overall winner for year one. Tranmere Sailing Club had ignited a Championship Cup for local races between 1894 and 1900. The cup was probably won outright, as it disappeared from the club. It returned in 1972 and is now the First Prize for Class B in the Midnight Race. Mr D Stuart Tod, the President of Tranmere Sailing Club, has taken part in fifty seven Midnight Races. He first took part in 1926, won the race in his yacht "Darthula II" in 1959, again in 1977, and continued in her until his eightieth year, he sold her. However, he continued to take part in the race, sailing with Alec Rollinson in "Pellegrina", until 1989. Nell Tod holds the record for the greatest number of races for a lady, having taken part in twenty-four Midnight Races. The record for the winners of the race by the members of the same family held by the Edges of New ferry, covering three generations.

S.W.Edge. 1951 in "Frosette" Father

J.W.Edge. 1971 in "The Waine" Son

J.W.Edge. 1981 in "Zanzara"

Callum Edge. 1985 in "Markab". Grandson

Between 1960 and 1991 notable success in the race was achieved by the Dee class yachts designed by Peter Brett, "Pellegrina", a Dee 27, winning in 1961, 1965, 1982, 1986, 1990 and 1991, and "Salamandra" a Dee 25 in 1966, 1968, 1969 and (Class B) 1991. Various rating systems have been used throughout the history of the race, the R.O.R.C. and I.O.R. systems prevailing for some boats after the war, involving in what became a complicated and expensive measurement system. A solution was provided in 1970, when Liverpool Bay Sailing Association was formed, at the behest of local clubs seeking a uniform system of Handicapping for inter Club events in the area. A handicapping system was devised involving measurement which owners could carry out themselves. This system, with subsequent modifications, has been used since for entrants in the Midnight race, although in the last year, a separate Class has been introduced for boats wishing to use the Channel. System. Although development in racer/cruiser yachts has changed the nature of the entry over recent years, starting in the mid-70s, when fibreglass construction and other technical developments began to influence the design of yachts, the Midnight Race still encompasses a wide range of boats, ranging from small 23 footers designed essentially for cruising, to the larger racer/cruisers like the Hustler 35 and Sigma 38, fitted with every electronic aid to sailing imaginable. And still, there are a number of more traditional designs, which, particularly with the wind anywhere aft of abeam, are highly competitive!
Types Of Boats Doing The Race:

It was agreed in 1937 that a one Rater, Roulette would be able to participate in the Isle of Man race.

Stacks Image 1015
Club History: Types Of Boats Doing The Race.
It was agreed in 1937 that a one Rater, Roulette would be able to participate in the Isle of Man race. It was thought be some unwise to let a day sailing boat to go offshore with a large open cockpit, but they sailed the race and came second that year.

Two long standing traditions of the club were started in 1926 and 1927, with the first Ladies Race being held and also the first Club Night. This has been held on a Wednesday night ever since. Social functions also started to be held in the clubhouse including a dance which was held in 1930 despite opposition from older members. In February 1932 a similar event was held and it was agreed that no entry charge would be made but that gentlemen attending would be expected to make a small donation towards the expenses of entertaining their ladies.

A separate sailing committee to the management committee was also set up around this time. In 1933 the fleet moored at Rock Ferry now numbered about 35 boats. The club also had many members who were anxious to crew and the committee asked boat owning members to assist in giving sailing experience. Two notices were placed on the notice board - one for boat owners needing crew and another for available crew. This was the first recorded crew list in the club. It was an unwritten rule that crew members would help work on the boat in the winter months and sometimes contribute financially to the running costs. At this time there was often a surplus of crew and failure to help out in these ways could mean your services being declined for the following season.

In June 1939 the last ferry boat sailed from Rock Ferry to Liverpool. The lack of the ferry now meant it was much harder for members travelling from Liverpool to reach the club and they had to rely on the train service.
The War Years.

War was declared in September 1939 and all club activity effectively ceased from this time.

Stacks Image 1023
Club History: The War Years.
War was declared in September 1939 and all club activity effectively ceased from this time. All boats had to be removed from the river and the adjacent yard to the club was filled to capacity. All flammable material had to be removed. Many Club members were called up to active duty, or served in the merchant navy or the Auxiliary Fire service and later the Home Guard.

A small committee continued to manage the club’s affairs. Members serving in the forces were exempt from paying their subscription and fees to other members were reduced and locker rents suspended. In 1940 the commodore informed a small meeting that the Royal Air Force balloon Barrage Boats were using the Rock Ferry Pier as a base and the clubhouse was to be commandeered and used as billets for the boats crews.

The club yard was commandeered by the Ministry of Fuel and piled high with tons of coke. The club house at this time was used to billet the RAF. A few meetings were held over the years in the club locker room, but it was not possible to hold any meetings in the evenings due to the blackout and the fact that in an air raid all transport was suspended. By 1942 the bottom bar of Donovan’s Pub (later the Admiral Pub) became the unofficial meeting place on Sunday mornings for all who could get time off work or was on leave.

During the heavy air raids on the Mersey over that time, the club came off very lightly subject to a few incendiary bombs, one through the roof of Bonds yard and onto the deck of yacht Moulette.
After The War.

After the war had ended in 1945, a meeting of the club was held at the Royal Rock hotel.

Stacks Image 1031
Club History: After The War.
After the war had ended in 1945, a meeting of the club was held at the Royal Rock hotel. The chair informed the members that the Rock Ferry pier was to be demolished as the Ferry Service would not be restarting.

Finally in the 1960s the club moved to its present home on Bedford Road East next door to the Admiral Pub, just a short walk from the top of the slipway.

Stacks Image 1039
Club History: 1960's.
Finally in the 1960s the club moved to its present home on Bedford Road East next door to the Admiral Pub, just a short walk from the top of the slipway.

Stuart Todd, Commodore from 1949 - 1952 and then again in 1959-1966 was the main driving force behind clearing the new site, acquiring and erecting the new clubhouse and supplying the dance floor. He had surrounded himself with a large gang of helpers including Dickie Richardson, John Edge, Len Dickinson, Owain Roberts and Eric Ford (treasurer).

This really started a golden age for the club with a cruising fleet of over 70 boats, Hilbre Class of 10 and dinghies over 40 plus social activities which included a new year party, Burns night, Ladies Dinner, Hotpot dinners all at the clubhouse with an annual dinner and prizegiving every year.

In the late 1980s the Liverpool Marina was opened and had a major effect on the club.

Stacks Image 1047
Club History: 1980's.
In the late 1980s the Liverpool Marina was opened and had a major effect on the club. The Marina is much safer and inevitably members moved their boats there to be kept in safety rather than the moorings at Rock Ferry.

The membership dwindled and the Liverpool Yacht Club became more dominant.

Stacks Image 1055
Club History: 2000's.
The membership dwindled and the Liverpool Yacht Club became more dominant. In 2008, the two clubs became affiliated and all members used to get the benefits of membership of both clubs. Social events were split and the Clubhouse is used for meetings and training.

Early in the 2020’s Tranmere Sailing Club transferred the Administration of the IOM midnight race to LYC.

Stacks Image 1092
Club History: 2020's.
Early in the 2020’s Tranmere Sailing Club transferred the Administration of the IOM midnight race to LYC.
We also have a developing sailing and racing fleet incorporating the UK North West Blind Sailors Association as part of our increasing membership.


Trophies & Awards.


Off Shore Challenge Bowl



Tod Trophy



Channel Cup



Midnight Yacht Race Challenge Trophy



1894 Championship Cup



1892 Championship Bowl



Myfanwy Kettle



The Admirals Trophy



Ladies Challenge Trophy



Mciver Cup



Milburn Trophy




Yacht Tender Race.

Yacht tender race, we have a sub committee from within the club who are planning and organizing this event. More information to follow.

Rotary Club Evening.

Tranmere Sailing Club also play host to, The Rotary Club of The City of Liverpool they have been using our clubhouse and kitchen for approximately the last decade. They hold their annual Burns Night Supper, (Haggis, Tatties and Neaps) where they raise a lot of money for local good causes and while doing so have a very enjoyable evening The haggis is piped in with Scottish dancing, games and a raffle which each year raises funds for local good causes and charities.



Addresses For Kindred Clubs.

Blundellsands Sailing Club - Founded 1895
The Foreshore, Hightown, Merseyside, Liverpool, L38 9EY.

Dee Sailing Club - Founded 1909
Station Road, Thurstaston, Wirral, CH61 0HN.

Hoylake Sailing Club - Founded 1887
North Parade, Hoylake, Wirral, CH47 2AL.

Liverpool Sailing Club - Founded 1959
Speke/Garston Coastal Reserve, Blackburne Street, Liverpool.

Royal Mersey Yacht Club - Founded 1844
Bedford Road East, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead CH42 1LS.

Wallasey Yacht Club - Founded 1903
10 Hope Street, New Brighton, CH45 2LN.

West Lancashire Yacht Club - Founded 1894
Marine Drive, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 1RY.

West Cheshire Sailing Club - Founded 1892
Coastal Drive, Wallasey, CH45 3PZ.

West Kirby Sailing Club - Founded 1901
Sandy Lane, Wirral, CH48 3HZ.

Fiddlers Ferry Sailing Club - Founded 1905
The Lock (off Station Road), Penketh, Warrington, WA5 2JJ.

Southport Sailing Club - Founded 1959
Marine Drive, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 1RY.

Liverpool Yacht Club - Founded 1990
Liverpool Marina, Coburg Dock, Liverpool, L3 4BP.

Ribble Cruising Club - Founded 1950
Promenade, Central Beach, Lytham, Lancashire, FY8 5LD.

Crosby Sailing Club - Founded 1972
Crosby Lakeside, Adventure Centre, Waterloo, Merseyside, L22 1RR.

Want To Become A Member?

I want to become a member - Contact the Hon. Secretary Colin Johnson Via the website address.


Contact Us

Tranmere Sailing Club - Founded 1892
4 Bedford Road East, Rock Ferry, Wirral, CH42 1LS.

Club Officers

Commodore - V Reynolds

Vice Commodore - C Quinn

Rear Commodore - S Clements

Hon Secretary - C Johnson

Treasurer - C Ditchfield



© 2023 Tranmere Sailing Club • Web-Site Design: Jasonkeating.com